Top 7 Things To Do And Explore In Canon City
- Breakfast at My Sister’s Place: On your way to go rafting, stop by My Sister’s Place and grab a breakfast burrito to-go! This local hot spot is popular among the raft guides for their quick and delicious breakfast menu. Two of our first-year raft guides are even working here in the evenings! Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner daily.
- The Dinosaur Experience: Opening in July! The Royal Gorge Dinosaur Experience provides a dynamic and high-value educational opportunity for kids of all ages and is an affordable activity in the Canon City area! The Dino experience is said to be a world-class collection of interactive displays, full-scale dinosaur fossil casts, real dinosaur fossils, guided tours, an outdoor skinned animatronic dinosaur exhibit and a multi-story ropes course ensure a fine balance between science, learning and good old-fashioned family fun. Our Royal Gorge outpost is really excited for the Dino Experience to open!
- El Reynaldo’s: Sometimes the best restaurants are the hardest to find. You’d pass right by them without a second look unless someone shared some insider info. Well, El Reynaldo’s is one of those hidden gems waiting to be discovered. Located in a gas station, you’ll be pleasantly surprised in the quality and flavor that they serve up in every single dish.
- The Royal Gorge Bridge and Park: The Royal Gorge Bridge & Park is more than just your average theme park. It’s a part of Colorado’s history. Bridge construction started back in 1929, but the Gorge itself is millions of years in the making. Bring the whole family and experience the wonder of the Royal Gorge by taking a gondola ride over the gorge, or simply walking across the bridge. The Royal Gorge Bridge and Park now has a summer concert series.
- The Royal Gorge Train: Combine history, adventure and scenery into one experience on the Royal Gorge train! Fun for the whole family, the train consists of open cars so that you may experience the Royal Gorge in the fresh air, or enjoy a bite to eat in one of the main enclosed cars. The train takes you from downtown Canon City, up through the Royal Gorge, where rafters are coming down the river, to the foot of the Bighorn Sheep Canyon, then back down to where you began. Once a month the Royal Gorge Train hosts a “Murder Mystery” dinner on the train and we’ve heard it’s a ton of fun!
- Raft the Royal Gorge: For those 14 and older, rafting the Royal Gorge is a “must do!” The Royal Gorge is Colorado white water at its finest, and is consistently considered one of the top 10 rafting runs in the country! This Colorado treasure is an epic sight from any angle, but from the bottom up, it’s truly breathtaking. Don’t gawk for too long, though, because when our expert guides yell, “paddle!” they mean it!
- Walk through the whitewater kayak park in Canon City. The Cañon City Whitewater Park was developed along a stretch of the Arkansas River and features a few waves and rapids for kayakers, rafters and other water sport enthusiasts to play on. Grab a snack and take an afternoon stroll through the park to watch some local whitewater kayakers play on these fun waves. The park is located right next to the Royal Gorge Train Station in downtown Canon City.